Thursday, June 24, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower and the Raw Food Breakfast of Champions: Or, Way to Go, Momma Mo!

Much congratulations and high-fives are due to my good buddies Maureen and Joe, who - in addition to being just overall awesome individuals - have generated new awesomeness with the birth of their son, Leo. Ha zah!

Leo and his parents are still navigating the new family thing, so Tony, Heather and I decided it'd be a great idea to provide Mom and Dad with some homemade treats for an evening. Heather made a stunning Jambalaya Lentil dish (a recipe I will be poaching at a later date) while I brought a Roasted Cauliflower and White Bean Salad with Orange-Olive Oil Dressing.


Tony did his part and for reasons I have yet to figure out joined Joe in an episode of "Kipper."


Kipper, if you haven't seen it yet, is the latest British import focused on brainwashing your children, much in the same vein as Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank Engine, or those demon-spawned BooBah. Except this time, it's a cute little dog and his equally adorable friends. Parents and their expendable incomes beware!

The other culinary treat to which I've been introduced this week is the Small & Mighty. I'm not much of a breakfast person - unless coffee counts as a meal. I can barely function in the a.m. and I'm usually just not that hungry. So coming across this recipe was a serious find.


It takes all of 30 seconds to put together and depending how you top it, it tastes like peanut butter-banana ice cream. While Katie over at Yes, I Want Cake prefers cinnamon, I've opted for the chocolate syrup route, with plans to explore grape or strawberry jelly in the near future.

Trust me - if you dig cold treats during sweltering heat waves (I'm looking at you, Baltimore...) - or just need something easy to get your through the morning that didn't come in plastic wrap - you'll love this stuff. I'm already hooked!

******************************
The Small & Mighty

(Courtesy of Yes, I Want Cake)

1 frozen banana

1/3 cup raw rolled oats

1 tbsp peanut butter

Optional toppings: chocolate syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon - just go nuts

1. Make life easier on yourself and slice the banana and place it on a baking sheet. Slip the sheet into the freezer and let the pieces harden. (It's easiest to take care of this step the night before.)

2. Place the banana, oats, and peanut butter into a food processor and blend until smooth.

3. Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!

******************************
Roasted Cauliflower and White Bean Salad with Orange Olive Oil Dressing

Courtesy of Herbivoracious.You can check out the recipe on Michael's blog here!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hooray! I might just have to try mine with chocolate syrup...it looks fantastic!

Sooz said...

I ate the banana thingy!!! Holy smokes is that yummy! Totally not worthy of breakfast though - that thing is dessert aaaaaallll the way. I halved the recipe and it was a perfect half cup. FYI, I'm sharing this and your blog with all my tri friends now.